Skip to main content

Welcome to Liz's Retirement

                               retirement
                                                                          noun
                                       the action or fact of leaving one's job and ceasing to work




Hello - I my name is Liz and I am retired! For the last 6 weeks!

Some background about me; I'm 63, married, a family with 2 grandchildren and 2 dogs.  I've worked since I was 15 1/2 left school with no qualifications & no ambitions, all I wanted was what lots of young women my age wanted in the early 70's; to be a wife and mum & have pencil thin eyebrows! Mmmnnn, none of that worked out as expected except the eyebrows! 

So at 17 I realised I was soon treading a path well trod by other women with no big education, that of any work to help supplement low household income as well as run a home, raise a child and be a grown up. So I've done a huge range of jobs over the years from cleaning, working in a fish and chip shop, home-help and shop girl with many things in between to gradually over the years progressing into clerical work and finishing my 'formal' career path being a senior NHS and then local government Manager leading whole departments.  

In that 46 years I had the usual life experiences of loss of parents and sibling, sadly one of my 2 children lived for less than a year, my marriage was one of the 42% that ended in divorce, a long-term lung condition decided to make its significance known as well and I realised life was not like the fairy tales I once read.

Some 15 years ago I unexpectedly met the man who's since become my soul mate, my mentor, my rock and all round good egg. With him life turned upside down, a new part of the world, a new career and I ended up running a huge award winning business in hospitality for the last 11 years with him. 

18 months ago with declining health (predominantly stress induced for me) we took the decision to plan our retirement for 2019. This involved everything the best articles tell you to do - financial planning, health, home etc. So of course we were fully prepared for retirement weren't we? After all, I'd planned for marriages, childbirth, holidays, how hard could it be. Well, a bit harder than I thought, I'm slowly learning! 

The calendar was crossed off day by day for a whole year, we'd sorted our finances, we talked excitedly of all we would do. The date of 6th November couldn't come quick enough. Well it came, we partied, we partied hard! So hard!! We had cards and presents, messages of goodwill and farewells. All the cards talked about no more Mondays, no more alarm clocks, time to yourselves etc etc. 

We ate and ate and ate for the first few weeks, we drank great wines and champagnes, we 'treated' ourselves had a few days away here and there, and then slowly it started to dawn on me/us that partying couldn't last for ever.  

THIS was now our life................. after 15 years of always having a business between us, it was now just us. JUST US! Maybe I hadn't planned quite as well as I thought I had. 

I hope you'll enjoy this journey through the next chapter of my life, warts and all. I promise to be honest, my language can get a bit fruity and I'm not to everyones taste! 

Liz x








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Strike a pose! Its all about the hands!

We (Husband and I) were very, very pleased to have a voucher as one of our retirement gifts for a photo shoot with  an incredibly talented and award winning photographer in our area - Martyn Norsworthy. I know Martyn really well and he's photographed me before, both for business and personally.   He knows I'm never pleased with how I look, despite all appearances to the contrary and I'm very low on self esteem and personal body image.  It didn't help that unusually for us, husband and I had a quite blistering row the night before. Well I say row; I shouted and himself listened! You know how it goes don't you! :)  Anyway, the whole shoot was brilliant and a very sneak peek re-assured me that the photos would look ok.  Well, they were more than ok, and we were incredibly pleased, however, there were the usual comments from me - can you make my teeth whiter, can you crop it a bit so you can't see how big chested I am, etc etc. But then came a bit of a gam

Well I never! (** warning - sweary post**)

Well I fucking never!!!!!!!! Talk about bad to fucking worse!!! 57 days after the first case of recorded Covid-19 in the UK we as a country are locked down........... It's almost beyond comprehension isn't it!!??  Myself in particular things went slightly from bad to worse with a return to hospital 3 days after being discharged, only this time my Asthma was really in overdrive and the big guns were wheeled out, i,e: Strong drips and other shag me dead strong medication 🙈  Another 7 days confined to the brilliant respiratory ward again, I was allowed home, you could tell things were ramping up at the hospital and there was an awful sense of waiting for the worst to happen, so I wanted to be home an d if the end of the world was coming I wanted it to be at home with my love.  Of course it doesn't seem like the world is ending but some people have definitely lost their marbles by the way they're behaving! Fucking idiots is one of the milder ones I've yelled at t

I am fearless...... I think!

I may or may not be all or some of those things, but one thing I've never been is alone! I mean truly alone!  I have always had a parent, a child, a husband, a job, a business. When Husband has been away on holiday (because of our business, we sometimes had to take separate holidays) I have had 'things' to keep me occupied, people and a business to escape too on those occasions we were separated. But now we are retired, much has changed and it's all still quite new. So, it was with huge trepidation that when the possibility of Husband going on a working visit to our friends Charity in Sierra Leone came, I gave 100% support and secretly fretted (greatly) at how would I manage with none of the above to 'occupy' me or him around. The day came and I waved him off with great big smiles and then a real meltdown in the car afterwards at what on earth I was going to do with myself. What if 'this' happened, what if 'that' happened, what if, what if,